Got a 2015 Toshiba Chromebook 2? You might have Android app support

Although Toshiba is out of the Chromebook business, many folks do still have a Toshiba Chromebook 2. And some of them reportedly have access to the Google Play Store as of a few days ago, which means Android app support.

Google Play Store icon in trayChromeUnboxed reports that the 2015 edition of the Toshiba Chromebook 2 works with Android apps on Chrome OS Stable v.66 , so you’ll want to make sure you have the latest Chrome OS version if you own one of these devices. Keep in mind too that Toshiba made two versions of the Chromebook 2, confusing as that may sound. This news only applies to the 2015 model, not the prior one.

Not sure which you have? Type chrome://version in your Chromebook browser to see the device code name. If the results show “gandof”, you have the 2015 model. The prior edition is called “swanky” and that’s still showing as a “planned” device to get Android app support.

I no longer have my 2015 Toshiba Chromebook 2, so I can’t verify if the Google Play Store now appears on the device. If you have one, check it out and let me know! I wouldn’t be surprised if this feature finally made it to the Chromebook 2 as it’s been in the Beta Channel for several months — getting it available on the Stable Channel is almost overdue in light of that.

Note that the official page showing support for Android apps based on Chromebook models currently doesn’t show the 2015 Toshiba Chromebook 2 as being supported on the Stable Channel. I suspect the site hasn’t been updated yet, but should be soon if the reports of Android app support are accurate.

8 thoughts on “Got a 2015 Toshiba Chromebook 2? You might have Android app support

• May 29, 2018 at 4:54 pm

Yes, I can confirm that after the much delayed v66 landed the other day so did support for Android apps (once you indicated you wanted to run those apps). But, as you say, only “gandof” gets this not “swanky”. I have no idea why Google hasn’t yet acknowledged this change with an update of the status of the Toshiba Chromebook 2 (2015) on the official list you mention.

• June 3, 2018 at 9:33 pm

Looks like I have the “Swanky” model. Darn! I think I bought my Toshiba Chromebook during the Summer of 2015. Still use it most every day.

I also have a 2012 model 17″ HP Pavillion G7 laptop that I still use for MS Office and some other Windows programs I can’t get for Chrome. Just purchased a new battery for $14.60 last week to keep it (sort of) mobile!

Not sure about upgrading either device yet. I have 2 teenage daughters, so that’s where most of my discretionary income goes!

Love your website, and I’m getting tempted to upgrade my CB.

• July 23, 2018 at 5:28 pm

I have a Toshiba Chromebook 2.

In “chrome://version” “Google Chrome” does reports “67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit)”

Under “Firmware Version” it does say “Google_Gandof .6301.155.9”

I do have the play store on my quick access toolbar on the bottom. Apps are hit and miss. I was able to install Microsoft Word, but Microsoft Excel was not available as “Your device isn’t compatible with this version.”

• July 23, 2018 at 5:30 pm

Yup, Gandof is the 2015 version and supports Play Store. I have seen a number folks (on various devices) say that Excel is not compatible for some reason.

• December 30, 2018 at 4:47 pm

I’m running AndrOpen Office on my Toshiba Chromebook 2 (2015) and it seems to the most stable and compatible of office suites between Chromebooks and Windows devices. It has a nasty glitch of crashing when saving files, but saving as works fine. To date it’s the best so far, aside from Polaris which has been nothing but a pain in the neck for the past few years now. CrossOver works ok at times, but the best thing you can do on this particular model is upgrade the factory 16GB SSD to a 120/128GB SSD. Now it’s worth keeping and using everyday in place of my Dell D630.

• February 28, 2019 at 10:52 pm

I too bought my Toshiba Chromebook 2 brand new in the summer of 2015. So I’m mystified as to why it’s Swanky rather than Gandof. At the time I thought I was buying the latest and best. Nonetheless, I’m wondering when our Swanky versions will get on board with Android apps also. I’ve been very happy with my Toshiba Chromebook, but as everything seems to be geared toward Android these days, I hate to think that my Chromebook will soon become useless. Does anyone have any idea if or when Swanky will receive this ability also?

• March 1, 2019 at 6:44 am

Hi. There’s the Toshiba Chromebook 2 and then there’s also the Toshiba Chromebook2 (2015). I have both models, but only the latter has the Google Playstore and runs Android apps running the Beta channel OS release. I’m still waiting for them to release a Beat channel OS release for the former one to also run Android apps while supporting the Google Playstore. Their website keeps saying “Planned” but it’s getting rather frustrating to be honest as it’s sitting collecting dust for a long time now. My Chromebook2 (2015) unit, I got fed-up with the puny 16GB factory storage and finally managed to upgrade it with a suitable 128GB module. Now it doesn’t complain anymore than I’m running low on storage space. Then I also put a 32GB microsd in a microsd to sd adapter and leave that in the flash media slot to put important files on that I can quickly remove and access on other devices using a microsd to USB reader.

• May 21, 2019 at 1:06 am

I use my gandoff everyday and have since new. I replaced the battery cheaply and it works great . Still great matte 1080p screen, keyboard. A lot to like. I’m going to have a hard time spending $570 for C434 for a replacement. I like the thin borders and 2 in 1 capability though.