I was wowed by the 3000 x 2000 resolution Pixel Slate display when using a demo unit earlier this week. Turns out, it isn’t the only Chrome tablet to have a screen with 293 dots per inch. There’s a support page that reader, Rob, found, listing for an HP Chromebook X2 variant with the same resolution.

The product number is 5ET19EA and based on the final two characters, I believe this is specifically for EU markets. I’m not 100% sure on that, however. I am sure that this is a top-of-the-line model due to the other hardware specifications: An Intel Core i5-7Y54 processor, 8GB of memory, 64GB of local storage and a backlit keyboard.

Unfortunately, here in the U.S., we’re still waiting to see any configuration other than the base $599 model, so no 3K display for us yet. We’re also still stuck with a Core m3 processor, 4GB of memory and 32GB of storage. We don’t get a backlit keyboard either, although a few consumers someone got a unit with one.

While I loved the HP Chromebook X2 for the two weeks I had one — I returned it to Best Buy — the timing of its release combined with the upcoming Pixel Slate and other devices with more current chipsets wasn’t ideal.

It’s a great machine and validated my five-year desire for a Chrome tablet with detachable keyboard. But I’m thinking perhaps HP should have waited to release it with 8th-gen Intel chips and a thinner keyboard option using those pogo pins for those that want a lighter overall package.

Although you might not see a difference between it and the Pixelbook from this image, here’s a few shots of the Pixel Slate’s higher-resolution screen, which should be comparable to the one on this HP Chromebook X2 model.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

9 thoughts on “The Pixel Slate isn’t the only Chrome tablet with a 3K screen: HP Chromebook X2 variant has one too

• October 13, 2018 at 9:59 am

I’m confused. It seems that HP, Acer, Asus, and perhaps others have a bias for releasing newer Chromebooks into the European before the U.S. market. Yet, doesn’t the U.S. market represent a much larger proportion of Chromebook sales?

• October 13, 2018 at 10:00 am

I don’t get it either. I agree with you, although I don’t have hard numbers handy: Chromebook sales are likely highest in the U.S.

• October 13, 2018 at 1:21 pm

Yes, it is counter-intuitive but it is also good news that some manufacturers are taking EU markets seriously. At least taking the trouble to scope them out. Google, so far, hasn’t.

The behaviour of these same computer manufacturers in the US might represent different business priorities requiring a different strategic approach. There could be the sense that until things settle down Google most likely will be taking most of the sales in the US in these new Chromebook markets in any case so potential competitors might as well just let the scale of the market be proven in this way before committing resources to it. The manufacturers don’t always want to lead. Following, even dragging of feet, represents a kind of strategy, too.

• October 14, 2018 at 3:24 pm

Good point. If Google takes the lion’s share of the U.S. market for a class of device but ignores E.U. markets, focusing on E.U. markets makes sense, in a roundabout way.

• October 13, 2018 at 11:13 am

Than you Kevin for your research and communication re Chromebooks and chrome tablets. My old PC with Windows 10 refuses to install updates, although it retries every day. Based on what I’m reading from you, I think I can go to a browser based system, particularly if it will run Android apps. So I can retire my wonky PC and my annoying Asus tablet in one fell swoop. The slate looks ideal. I’m presuming I can run an external monitor when needed?

• October 13, 2018 at 11:15 am

Glad to help, John! Yes, you can use an external monitor with the Slate but you’ll need the appropriate USC Type-C cable for video out or a USB Type-C with a video out port.

• October 15, 2018 at 6:49 pm

One sad item from The HP site description of the device is that the USB-C ports are both 3.0 Gen 1.