5 reasons you might want to run Linux on your Chromebook

Although much of my day is spent using the browser on my Chromebooks, I also end up using Linux apps quite a bit. Not everyone does, and that’s fine: Use the tools you need to use, I say.

But I still get email questions or reader comments essentially asking “Why would (or do) I want to use Linux apps on a Chromebook? It just complicates what’s a simple device.”

That’s a fair question. After all, one of the three pillars — or “S’s” — of Chrome OS is simplicity. The other two are security and speed in case you’re ever on Jeopardy, by the way.

If you can do everything you need to in a browser, or with Android apps, on your Chromebook, you’re all set. And there’s no need to flip the switch that enables Linux app support. It is optional, of course. However, there are some fairly common use-cases where it might make sense to flip that switch.

You want to use a full desktop productivity suite

At this point in time, most web-based productivity suites such as Google Docs and Office 365 are on par with their desktop counterparts, save for a few features here or there. Perhaps those few features are key to your usage, though.

With Linux enabled on your Chromebook, it’s a simple task to install a full desktop client for documents, spreadsheets, presentations and more. I tend to have LibreOffice installed as a “just in case” situation when I need one of those advanced features. It’s free, open-source and feature packed.

In January several new features were added that you won’t see in online productivity suites, which are outlined in the below video.

You want a better photo editor

I get all of my photo edits done online just fine and there are some good Android apps to make your photos shine as well. But as a blogger and someone who shares the occasional photo on social media, my editing needs are pretty limited. Graphic designers and pro photographers likely can’t make do with the tools I use.

GIMP tends to be the popular standard when it comes to open-source photo editing clients on Linux.

Again, it’s too much power for me, but if you want Photoshop-like tools, you’ll want to check out GIMP for Linux.

Created with GIMP

You want to edit videos on your Chromebook

Related to photo editing is creating videos, which can be edited on a Chromebook with a number of Android apps. But you’ll be limited when it comes to features and flexibility.

Why not keep a video editor installed on that Linux partition of your Chromebook?

I personally like OpenShot (shown below) for its simplicity but Shotcut is also a standout option. With either of these, or similar alternatives, you can create professional looking videos with a range of options and tools that (so far) no Android app on a Chromebook can match.

Openshot UI

You are or want to be a developer

This one should come as no surprise to regular readers because I’ve written about using Linux for my Computer Science college program a number of times prior. I’ve even suggested that in some cases, you might be able to use a Chromebook for a CompSci degree. That’s going to depend on the supported tools at your school of choice, of course, so check those requirements first.

With Linux, however, I’ve been able to install and use even the most complicated and powerful integrated development environments for Java, Python, C++ and other languages. And if your Chromebook has enough horsepower, it can run Android Studio for mobile app development.

So far, I’ve used IntelliJ, Eclipse, some basic text editors, and my current favorite: Microsoft Visual Code.

Java app to archive podcasts
Java in Visual Code on a Chromebook

Just…. to learn Linux!

I’m a big believer in always learning new things. And although I’ve had a very cursory understanding of how to use Linux prior to it being supported on Chromebooks, I’ve learned a lot more about how to use it effectively.

And that’s not a bad thing: More skills are always good to have, even if they’re not particularly relevant to what you do day in and day out!

I say flip the Linux switch if you want to learn more about the platform. You can always disable Linux and reclaim the storage space it takes up at any time.

If you decide to take the plunge, there are tons of online sources to guide you. There are even some free eBooks such as this introductory one from The Linux Foundation (PDF) and the comprehensive “Linux Fundamentals” (PDF) from Paul Cobbaut.

Good luck and enjoy the Linux lifestyle!

19 thoughts on “5 reasons you might want to run Linux on your Chromebook

• May 9, 2020 at 3:18 pm

I would love to run linux on my chromebook ASUS 302CA. One of the most widely sold chromebooks out there, and still no support.

• May 10, 2020 at 3:17 am

Is there any clues as to when we can expect Linux apps to be able to interact with G Drive files?

eg. I would love to be able to open Libre Office files on my G Drive with Libre Office apps and make edits and then save them back to G Drive.

• May 10, 2020 at 4:38 am

I used to use Linux way back. And so was fine enabling it on the c340 to try out a few things like a better file manager but am bamboozled by where Linux says the home folder is compared to what chrome file manager says. Can’t work out how to pass files between them.

• May 10, 2020 at 5:35 am

I like an OS that just works and doesn’t think it’s more important than the things I have to do, that’s Chrome OS. Win / Linux / Mac all have agendas / issues that stop me doing the stuff I have to do. Life is hard enough at times, no sane person wants the OS getting in the way on top of that. Sometimes a more powerful / extensive OS is needed. Linux on Chrome OS allows for this without it taking over the whole OS, allowing things to get done without the extra Power ruining your day – yes I’m looking at you Win 10 updates, yes I’m looking at you ubuntu that won’t install Chrome from a deb file without getting into a terminal, mac OS that will need a second mortgage. I got more important things to do than waste time with childish hangups that shouldn’t be necessary in the year 2020. It’s time for tech and a lot of tech people to grow up.

• May 11, 2020 at 4:28 pm

What is the Linux agenda? I agree the various distros have agendas, but what about Linux itself?

• May 10, 2020 at 11:06 am

Thanks for the informative article. Is there any advantage (or disadvantage) to dual-booting Linux on a Chromebook rather than simply using the “built-in” Linux on newer Chromebooks?

• May 10, 2020 at 2:34 pm

Well … Linux is just too complicated. Plus I don’t understand the file system. I did try it on a CB but LibreOffice was storing files in some unknowable place. If Google wants to let us use Linux mainstream, then questions of storage need to be sorted out as a basic. Perhaps it is ok for the writer if he teaches computer science, but for me the whole advantage of Chrome OS is that it just works by itself, which is a whole lot more than could be said for Linux. Plus when trying LibreOffice, why would it not update to the very latest version? Something to do with repositories, but as soon as you get that far, you have lost your audience. Linux is too geeky.

• May 10, 2020 at 2:39 pm

I hear you on the complexity if you’re not familiar with Linux. But…. the two items you mentioned are easily rectified. 🙂 Bjorn left a comment about how to share your Google Drive with Linux, which takes just a click or two in the Chrome OS Files app. Once that’s set up, you can access Drive in Linux apps for file storage and retrieval. And updating Linux apps is all of two command lines. 1. “sudo apt-get update” and then “sudo apt-get upgrade”. I run those two commands daily to ensure that any/all of my Linux files or apps are upgraded. Hope that helps!

• May 11, 2020 at 3:31 pm

But I don’t want to run commands daily! I just want it to keep updated as Chrome OS does (and Windows to some extent). I don’t want these silly commands – I mean, what is a “sudo”? What does “apt-get” mean? The reason Linux languishes on the desktop is because they can’t follow Windows or MacOS for simplicity of everyday use for ordinary people like me.

I agree it would be nice to have Gimp and other things like that, but I’m hoping that the Chrome OS market develops such that we have our own apps (or ports of these things to Chrome OS).

• May 11, 2020 at 11:36 am

Easy! After you enable Linux o Chromebook. Open the File Browser and you’ll se on the left side a Folder called Linux. On this folder you should create other folder like: My Documents, Music, Video, Download…Then all the folders you created on Linux folder will be available in all Linux Apps that you have installed.

• May 10, 2020 at 5:29 pm

Do you know if it is possible for a Linux screen recorder application to record items in the Chrome OS browser?

• May 11, 2020 at 2:27 am

the main problem with CB is the wifi. Even the display of the letter on the scean depends on it ans there is a delay in the typewriting thar occurs mistakes. The bad reception of wifi is still increased listening to the radio that breaks every quarter of minit (better opening the old wave system while working or playing. Il is not for sure that Linux will put an end to that: what do you think?

• May 14, 2020 at 3:15 pm

I have a 6th reason… It’s FUN! ;^)

It’s fun to get a product and learn to use it in a way the manufacturer never intended.

It’s fun to get more out of less. You can get Chromebooks that have decent hardware (CPU, RAM, etc.) and repurpose them as Linux laptops for a less than it would cost you for a Linux laptop, or a Windows laptop that you make into a Linux laptop.

It’s fun to be different, to do things that others normally don’t, or to have things that others normally don’t have.

It’s fun to be a computer geek. ;^) And while running Linux on a Chromebook is far from the geekiest thing in the world to do — tbh, it’s fairly trivial now, as Google has embraced it and keeps giving us easier and easier ways to do it — it might start some people down the path of learning more about computers, Linux, and programming… imo, that’s a VERY GOOD THING!