Chromebooks getting support for USB Wi-Fi dongles

Apparently, the Chromium team has seen reports of “wonky” Wi-Fi connections on Chromebooks and other Chrome OS devices. I’ve never had issues using the internal Wi-Fi radio on my Chromebooks, but of course, that’s a minutely small sample. As a result, the team will be adding support for certain USB Wi-Fi dongles so users will have backup connectivity if the internal wireless radios aren’t up to snuff in some environments.

Here’s the change log description of this work in progress:

“USB Wifi can sometimes be helpful as a backup, if the internal Wifi is wonky. There are various popular USB Wifi dongles on the market that use varieties of this Ralink chipset. Let’s enable support for some newer ones.”

If you have an older Wi-Fi dongle — say one that works with 802.11b or g networks, this change won’t likely help you. But 802.11n and ac dongles using Ralink’s 33xx, 35xx and 53xx chipsets are planned for support.

Note that MediaTek bought Ralink in 2011 and although the company’s Wi-Fi dongles may be branded by either name, they often power dongles with other, often more recognizable brand names. Hopefully, some of the USB Wi-Fi devices support USB-C without an adapter since many newer Chromebooks have moved on to that format.

11 thoughts on “Chromebooks getting support for USB Wi-Fi dongles

• July 25, 2018 at 1:40 pm

Wonky Bluetooth — sometimes yes. Wonky WiFi — not in my experience.

• July 25, 2018 at 2:38 pm

Same here.

• November 22, 2018 at 8:46 am

I have an Asus C201PA and although the Wi-Fi is good if I am within 6 feet of the router, if I move away from it to about 12 Feet the signal just drops out. It does (sometimes) pick up after a few minutes. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good dongle for this machine. I am using Chrome 71.0.3578.49 O/S.

• July 25, 2018 at 2:56 pm

A lot of reports of “wonky WiFi” after the latest dev channel update to 69.0.3494.0. The problem with WiFi dongles has always been identifying the chipset to determine support. Sometimes manufacturers even switch chipsets without changing the model. Maybe they’ll now advertise as “Chromebook compatible!”, lol.

• July 26, 2018 at 12:45 am

I’ve experienced wifi issues when connected to curtain AP’s. Mainly Aruba Networks access points. My Windows box and other wifi devices on the network never have any issues, but unfortunately my Acer Chromebook 15 intermittently and very briefly drops connection. It’s super annoying, especially when your in an RDP session trying to get work done and you keep getting kicked out. Ping test results show every 30 seconds or so network unreachable, but quickly re-establish the connection. I suspect it has something to do with the band steering mechanism in the AP that the Chromebook can’t handle properly, but I haven’t done much testing other than the pings. I ended up just purchasing and using a USB to Ethernet dongle. Much more of a stable connection.

• July 26, 2018 at 8:55 am

I want a simcaed port so I can go Mobile with out teathering

• November 11, 2018 at 12:30 pm

I have wonky wifi problems with a DELL 13-7310 with Intel I3 8GB 128GB.

That’s really a pain.

Waiting for a Wifi dongle

Some people said that this wifi dongle works :
    Edimax EW-7811Un 150Mbps 11n Wi-Fi USB Adapter, Nano Size Lets You Plug it and Forget it, Ideal for Raspberry Pi / Pi2, Supports Windows, Mac OS, Linux

• November 21, 2018 at 10:13 am

I have the same Dell chromebook and also have wifi problems. I bought this USB wifi dongle on Amazon: “Ralink RT5370 Raspberry PI wifi adapter/ wifi dongle with soft AP function” (looks like the one pictured in the article) and it fixed the issue. I ran a wifi signal strength app as an Android app on the chromebook both with and without the USB adapter — there was a big improvement in signal strength with the adapter.

• November 22, 2018 at 2:37 am

Thanks for the information. I will buy it.
        Have you had to stop the Dell wifi and how?

Best regards

BB

• November 22, 2018 at 8:50 am

• December 2, 2018 at 2:24 pm

I am having the same issue with my dell 7310. I am about to purchase the usb dongle you listed, but I have a couple questions. Are you on the stable channel? Also, for the dongle to work, do you need to turn off the wifi in the chromeos menu?